Before beginning please read this page.
This is our recommended D-shaped mask, with easy to read instructions developed and written by Kai Anderson, one of our first members. There is a pleated pattern at this link.
Kai’s method simplifies the mask construction, while also introducing some nice features.
- Side channels allow for a tighter fit, and easy replacement of the cord in the case of damage.
- Wire nose-piece is optional with this mask, and is inserted through another channel left in the side.
Please note that this pattern is more time-consuming to make than the pleated version, but the additional work provides more structure and stability, and a more durable product.
This pattern allows for a 3/8” seam allowance
- Cut out all the pieces
- Stitch together lining and main fabric pieces separately along the curved edge, good sides together
- Clip curved edges and press out seam with fingers
- Top stitch curved edges down
- Fold over straight edges of lining twice, about ¼” on each fold and sew down
- Pin lining to main piece, good sides together
- Sew along edges
- Clip edges, flip right side out and finger press
- The edges of the main fabric will be folded over slightly. Press down with fingers or iron, then top stitch along edges
- Sew in wire channel.
I have done this by setting my needle to the left side and positioning the edge of my foot along the top stitch line.
I sew along the length of the lining, leaving the ends open.
However, you may use a shorter channel across the bridge of the nose if you wish to make your wire piece permanent.
- Fold over the raw edges of the main material twice and stitch down the edge
I find it easier to press these edges down with an iron before sewing
Leave the edges of the lining OPEN. See photograph
- Thread in your ribbon/shoelace/elastic etc. through the channels you have just created.
- Insert your wire if one is desired
- Mask complete!
While it doesn’t show sewing the channel for the nose-wire, this video is otherwise an excellent demonstration of our preferred method for this mask.